This pair of pendant lamps were produced by Gaivota, in Portugal, during the 1920's. It is based on the classic Peter Behrens design from around 1910, manufactured in Germany, by AEG or SSW Siemens-Schuckert-Werke GmbH.
The piece has a frosted white glass shade is held in place by a bell-shaped metallic attachment and stem, encasing the bulb for the diffusion of the light. Top part of the lamp and ceiling cup in chromed metal. The lower part is in white opaline glass, that is held on a chrome frame, and can be taken out to replace the bulb. The two lamps are slightly different in size. One of the lamps has a small chip on the glass but not visible when mounted. Otherwise in a very good vintage condition with light wear consistent with age and use.
Pair of Pendant Lamps by Gaivota, in the style of Peter Behrens, 1920's